Saturday, March 19, 2016

Hosea 11: God, The Heartbroken Parent

All of us probably know parents who mourn a lost son or daughter.  Even if not physically absent, they may be spiritually lost or relationally estranged.  The heartbreak in such situations is real.  And Hosea tells us that God knows exactly what that feeling is like.

The fatherhood of God is established in verse 1: "When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son."  From the beginning, God's feelings toward the people of Israel was one of love between a parent and child.  However, it was not mutual; Israel was a rebellious son.  "The more I called them, the more they went from me; they kept sacrificing to the Baals, and offering incense to idols" (vs. 2).

The prophet goes on to talk of God as a Father loving His growing child: "I taught Ephraim to walk," "I took them up in my arms," "I led them with cords of human kindness and bands of love," "I bent down to them and fed them" (vs. 3-4).  Yet instead of returning love to God, the people went astray, chasing after other gods.  How that must have broken the Lord's heart!  (I wonder if Jesus had this passage from Hosea on his mind when He shared the parable of the Prodigal Son with His followers?)

God loves His son, Israel, too much to abandon him forever.  The Lord cries out through His prophets: "How can I give you up, Ephraim?  How can I hand you over, O Israel?...My heart recoils within me; my compassion grows warm and tender" (vs. 8).  With this heartfelt love for His son, Israel, God resolves not to destroy the nation completely.  Though they must be punished for their iniquity, God promises to return them to their homes (vs. 11).  After all, He is a loving Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment