In Luke 22:53, Jesus renders a verdict on all the sinister events that are swirling around Him: "This is your hour, and the power of darkness!"
What darkness Jesus had to endure that night in order to defeat the darkness within us! What kinds of evil things are confronting Jesus during His last hours?
- He is the subject of a conspiracy of priests and religious leaders, the same ones who should be embracing His gospel!
- He is betrayed by one of His closest associates, the treasurer among His band of twelve disciples, as Judas has Satan enter Him and sells Jesus out for money.
- Speaking of Satan, the devil is also bent on sifting the rest of the disciples like wheat - especially their leader, Simon Peter! And fall into denial of Jesus he will, even before the night is over.
- Other disciples mistake Jesus' message as a summons to violence, and lash out with their swords. Jesus interrupts the melee to heal the ear of His enemy.
- In the face of all this evil, Jesus Himself is in turmoil. His anguish is not even placated by prayer; instead He begins to sweat blood.
- The disciples aren't too worried about their Master, however - they're too busy sleeping!