Sunday, July 13, 2014

Psalm 27: Confidence in the Lord

Confidence is defined as "the feeling or belief that one can rely on someone or something; firm trust."  The roots of the word confidence (con + fidere) mean "with faith" or "with trust."  This accurately describes David's position toward God in Psalm 27.
I love it when I can feel the confidence in the Lord like David testifies in this Psalm!  I may experience it at times, but I confess that it is not always a constant in my life.  Would that it were!

Consider the beautiful expressions of David's confident trust in the Lord:

  • The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?  (vs. 1)
  • For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock. (vs. 5)
  • If my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will take me up (vs. 11)

Even in the face of opposition and enemies, David's trust in the Lord is absolute and unwavering.  (vs. 2 and 3)  He asks only to be with the Lord, to dwell in his house, and to behold his beauty (vs. 4).  It is the Lord's face which David seeks and is the desire of his heart (vs. 8).

Psalm 27 ends with the powerful word of encouragement: "Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!"

No comments:

Post a Comment