A lot could be said - and has been said - about the Ten Commandments. Simply put, they form the cornerstone of the Law. The basics of how God wants us to act toward Him and treat one another can be found here.
1. I am the Lord your God. You shall have no other gods before me.
2. Do not make any idols.
3. Keep the name of the Lord holy.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy.
5. Honor your father and mother.
6. Do not murder.
7. Do not take someone else's spouse for your own.
8. Do not steal.
9. Do not lie so as to harm another.
10. Do not lust after anything that belongs to someone else.
The Ten Commandments reflect the greatest commandment that Jesus gave to His followers. "To love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength" is a summary of the first four commandments. They tell us how to practice a love toward God. The final six commandments detail how we are to live out Christ's command to "love your neighbor as yourself."
As a summary of the basic Law that God wants us to follow, it's hard to quibble with the Ten Commandments!