Monday, October 24, 2016

Psalm 142: When God Is The Only One In Your Corner...

...He's the only one you need!

Psalm 142 contains a familiar complaint by David: the world has turned its back on him!  "Look on my right hand and see - there is no one who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for me" (vs. 4).  In a situation like this, the only one that David can turn to is God.  Fortunately, God is always there to listen.  He's the only one David needs!

David describes in six different ways how he prays out vocally to the Lord:

  • "With my voice I cry to the Lord" (vs. 1).
  • "With my voice I make supplication to the Lord" (vs. 1).
  • "I pour out my complaint before him" (vs. 2).
  • "I tell my trouble before him" (vs. 2).
  • "I cry to you, O Lord" (vs. 5).
  • "I say, 'You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living"( vs. 5).

The result is that David feels heard by the Lord.  By the end of the psalm, David expresses confidence that God will heed his humble cry.  Now he looks forward to going from isolation to support: "The righteous will surround me, for you will deal bountifully with me" (vs. 7).

No comments:

Post a Comment