Friday, January 13, 2017

John 10: The Lord Is My (Good) Shepherd

Did you catch all that sheep talk in this chapter?  There are several places in the Bible where the people of God are reckoned as sheep (Psalm 23, Psalm 100:3, Matthew 25:31-46).  I don't know how you feel about the favorability of that comparison, but it seems apt to me!

We also have two additional "I am" statements in this chapter.  Jesus is both the gate for the sheep (vs. 7) and the good shepherd (vs. 14).  This intrigues the Jews who wanted to know if He was the Christ. (vs. 24).  Of course, they don't seem to like His answer! (vs. 31).

I believe it was precisely His inflammatory (though entirely accurate) proclamations like these "I am" statements and, "I and the Father are one," which led to Jesus' crucifixion.  This "blasphemy" is what compelled His opponents rig a trial, drove the high priest rend His garments, and made the Sanhedrin demand execution.

Another powerful verse in this chapter is John 10:10: "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  There is such a sharp contrast between Jesus and anyone else - the thief, the hired hands, the stranger.  It is Jesus alone who is the Good Shepherd.

How has Jesus been a Good Shepherd to you?  How do you recognize His voice?

No comments:

Post a Comment