Wednesday, January 25, 2017

John 18: Seeking The Truth

What He went through, He went through for me and you.

The betrayal.  The arrest.  The trials.  The denials. 

All of these are leading up to the world's attempt to stamp out a troublemaker.  They will stop at nothing short of His death.  The Jews had had enough of His "blasphemy."  The Romans viewed Him suspiciously as a rival king.  But nobody is really seeking the truth.  Nobody is listening to His message.

"I have spoken openly to the world.  I always taught in synagogues or at the temple...Why question me?" (vs. 20)

"If I said something wrong, testify as to what is wrong.  But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?" (vs. 23)

"Everyone on the side of truth listens to me" (vs. 37).

Pilate would fit in well with our postmodern mindset when he asks Jesus, "What is truth?" (vs. 38)

Too bad Pilate hadn't been at the Last Supper to hear Jesus say, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life" (14:6).

No comments:

Post a Comment