Thursday, April 3, 2014

Luke 12: Be Prepared

A unifying theme in Luke 12 is getting ready for what the future holds.  Jesus has a lot of advice and even some parables regarding our spiritual preparation.

Here are some of the teachings we receive from Jesus in this chapter:

  • One day everything will be disclosed. (12:2)
  • We don't need to fear those who can kill the body, only Him who can throw us into hell. (12:5)
  • We are worth more than many sparrows. (12:7)
  • Disowning the Son of Man will have severe consequences later. (12:9)
  • Blaspheming the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. (12:10)
  • We do not need to worry about our testimony before hostile authorities because the Spirit will be with us. (12:11-12)
  • Don't be greedy.  A man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. (12:15)
  • Don't worry.  God will provide for our needs. (12:22-31)
  • We can store up treasure in heaven by being generous now. (12:32-34)
  • Always live in such a way as to be prepared for the return of Christ. (12:40)
  • From him who has been given much, much will be expected. (12:46)
  • Faith in Christ leads to division rather than peace, even splitting up families. (12:49-53)
  • Interpret the times. (12:56)
  • Make amends now with people before it is too late. (12:57-79)
Which of these teachings do we (the American Church) most need to hear today?  Which one do you personally need to hear?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    I certainly hope a perfect understanding of baptism is not a requirement for salvation, or we are all in trouble!

    I'm not sure how to answer all of your questions, but I do have some of my own.

    How do you interpret Acts 10:44-48 where the first Gentile converts to Christ receive the Holy Spirit and begin speaking in tongues - prior to receiving water baptism? They were unbaptized; were they also unsaved -even though they had received the Holy Spirit?

    How do you interpret Luke 23:40-43 where Jesus welcomes the thief on the cross into Paradise, apparently without a water baptism?

    I contend that, as a matter of course, baptism should be practiced. However, it is God's grace which saves us, through faith, of which baptism is an outward sign. I don't think of it as a "baptism that saves."

    Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be greedy. A man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. (12:15)

    This one really speaks to me right now, and I think it also is one that the Church can embrace. My parents just bought a new house, and whole bunch of new stuff and new toys are arriving each day. It is so cool to see all of it come together. And they are also very generous with what they have. They bless Chrissy and I mightily. Yet there are times when I know I am getting wrapped up in the STUFF. Sure the stuff is fun, but it is not all that matters. It takes doing a regular inventory in this regard by asking the question "would I still possess the peace and happiness I have now if all of this stuff was taken away?"
    It is easy to see God's blessing when we have plenty. Sometimes it takes stepping back and realizing how blessed you are even if you didn't have plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are being vigilant! It can be very tempting to take our focus off God and let our eyes linger on all the "stuff" of material blessings. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the blessings of God - as long as we don't forget where they came from and what's most important. And we will, unless we stay on our guard. Like Paul, we must learn the secret of being in content in any and every situation - so that no matter what, rich or poor, hungry or well-fed, we maintain a vital connection with God!

      Delete
  3. I personally still struggle with worry - even though I have seen God provide so many times - and with living expectantly as if Christ is coming back. While I know in my heart He is, I think I am too often living for the here and now, caught up in the busyness of life.

    ReplyDelete