Friday, June 6, 2014

Galatians 6: Final Thoughts

How do you handle the biblical "contradiction" in Galatians 6?  Verse 2 instructs us to "bear one another's burdens," while verse 5 teaches "all must carry their own loads."

So which is it?  Well, I like to apply these principles as words directed to my own heart.  I should strive to help others and bear their burdens, but also recognize that I myself am responsible for my own load.  In other words, we should lay both of these obligations upon our own hearts: taking personal responsibility for ourselves as well as demonstrating Christian charity for others.

Paul concludes the letter with proverbial sayings, including the truth that we will reap what we sow and that we should give generously to our teachers.

In the final verses, we get some interesting clues about Paul.  The letter of Galatians appears to be largely a dictation, with Paul himself taking over in vs. 11: "See what large letters I make when I am writing in my own hand!"  This observation may also (once again) indicate that Paul had vision troubles; writing in noticeably large letters is a characteristic of those with poor eyesight.  Did Paul's blinding Damascus Road experience leave him with a lifelong "thorn" that he had to bear?

Finally, Paul mentions that he bears on his body the marks of Jesus (vs. 17).  There are at least two ways to interpret this.  The first is that Paul's missionary work has left him with physical scars, testifying to his devotion to Christ.  The second is that Paul's body has manifested the stigmata of Christ - a phenomenon where saints develop wounds on their hands and feet reminiscent of crucifixion injuries.

As always, Paul is an interesting character!

No comments:

Post a Comment