Saturday, October 4, 2014

Psalm 39: Getting Perspective

My wife tells me that one of my strengths is an ability to be objective when the moment calls for it.  Rather than letting heady emotions run away with me, I can take a step back and look coolly and dispassionately at the situation.  (It's a very helpful skill to have in a threatening or overwhelming crisis.)  Sometimes this is called "getting perspective," and it seems to be what David is doing in this Psalm.

David begins by confessing his attempt to hold his tongue and keep silent (vs. 1-3).  When that failed, he next turned in wisdom to taking a step back and considering what his life is like in view of God's eternity.  Here are some of the poignant phrases he crafts:

  • "how fleeting my life is"
  • "my days a few handbreadths"
  • "my lifetime is as nothing"
  • "everyone stands as a mere breath"
  • "everyone goes about like a shadow"
  • "surely everyone is a mere breath"
  • "I am your passing guest, an alien"

With these things in mind, what is David's strategy, his plan, his only hope?  "And now, O Lord, what do I wait for?  My hope is in you." (vs. 7)  I believe this to be the heart-cry of Psalm 39.  In consideration of the brevity and futility of his own life, David's only recourse is to put his hope and trust in the Lord.  It is that same recourse which is still open to us 3,000 years later.  Fortunately, the Lord is worthy of our trust and hope!


No comments:

Post a Comment