Saturday, February 28, 2015

Psalm 59: A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

Martin Luther drew upon Psalm 46 for his classic Reformation hymn.  The image of  God as our mighty fortress, however, can be found in numerous psalms, including Psalm 59.

David is once again troubled by enemies.  And, once again, he is turning to God for deliverance.  The unofficial subtitle of Psalm 59 suggests that it was composed when he was in conflict with Saul.

As always in the psalms, David knows that the best place to turn is to God.  It's not a matter of taking things into his own hands or giving up the fight for what he knows is right.  Instead, David understands that God is the One who can see him through any challenge, any obstacle, any foe.  As in other psalms, the level of trust and faith that David displays in the Lord is inspiring.

In the concluding verses, twice David refers to God as his "fortress."  God has proven Himself, over and over again, as the reliable rock upon which David can build his life in security.

I would encourage you to pray verses 16 and 17 and make them your own.  Even if you don't struggle with opposition in your life like David did, the good promise of this psalm is that God can be your mighty fortress.

16     But I will sing of your might;
I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.
For you have been a fortress for me
and a refuge in the day of my distress.
17     O my strength, I will sing praises to you,
for you, O God, are my fortress,
the God who shows me steadfast love.




No comments:

Post a Comment