Thursday, June 16, 2016

Jeremiah 30: A Glimmer Of Hope

Jeremiah is regarded as "the weeping prophet," and for good reason.  He was repeatedly called upon to proclaim his nation's defeat and destruction.  But the good news is that this messenger of gloom and doom was also given a powerful hope-filled message to share in the midst of his negative utterances.  Chapter 30 talks about what comes after the painful defeat by Babylon and national exile - that there will be a time of restoration!

God directs Jeremiah to write down in a book (thus making it a permanent record) the promise of a return to the homeland by the exiles.  "For the days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will restore the fortunes of my people, Israel and Judah, says the Lord, and I will bring them back to the land that I gave to their ancestors and they shall take possession of it" (vs. 3).  Just as Jeremiah confidently prophesied the exile to Babylon, he also stated with certainty that there would be a return of the nation.

Jeremiah foresaw that God's people, who has already been delivered once from the hand of Pharaoh, would be delivered again, this time from the land of Babylon.  And along with their freedom came the promise of a new ruler, a king who will lead them back to God.  "On that day, says the Lord of hosts, I will break the yoke from off his neck, and I will burst his bonds, and strangers shall no more make a servant of him.  But they shall serve the Lord their God and David their king, whom I will raise up for them" (vs. 8-9).  Mixed in with the prophecy of the restoration of Judah is the figure of the coming Messiah.

We get more hints about the Messiah and His importance near the conclusion of this chapter.  "Their prince shall be one of their own, their ruler shall come from their midst; I will bring him near, and he shall approach me, for who would otherwise dare to approach me? says the Lord.  And you shall be my people, and I will be your God" (vs. 21-22).  Who else fits this description so well as Jesus Christ?  He, who came first for the Jews to be their King (John 18:36-37), and then to the world of Gentiles, is the fulfillment of Jeremiah's prophecy of a coming ruler!

No comments:

Post a Comment