Thursday, September 29, 2016

Ezekiel 20: Name Sake

Ezekiel 20 reveals that God has acted throughout much of history for the sake of His name, especially in His discharge of mercy.

The prophet's history lesson begins in Egypt, with God calling His people out of the land.  The Lord ordered them to turn from the pagan idols of the Egyptians, but the Israelites refused.  God considered striking them down right there with His wrath, but He responded instead with mercy for the sake of His name among the nations (vs. 8).  "But I acted for the sake of my name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations among whom they lived, in whose sight I made myself known to them in bringing them out of the land of Egypt" (vs. 9).

Then, in the wilderness, the people continued in their corrupt and stubborn ways by rejecting God's revealed law.  Again, God had the opportunity -and the right - to wipe out His people.  Again, He chose mercy, for the sake of His name among the Gentiles.  "But I acted for the sake of my name, so that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations, in whose sight I had brought them out" (vs. 14).

When the next generation followed in their parents' ways and still refused to submit to God and His commandments, the Lord once again stayed His hand of judgment.  He warned them of the brutal consequences of the pagan ways they were pursuing and the exile that awaited them, "but I withheld my hand, and acted for the sake of my name, so that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations, in whose sight I had brought them out" (vs. 22).

Ultimately, however, God knows that it can't stay this way forever.  He absolutely refuses to give up on His people, but He does promise that He will break their rebellious spirit.  Defiantly, the Lord issues this verdict on the wayward heart of the Israelites: "What is in your mind shall never happen—the thought, 'Let us be like the nations, like the tribes of the countries, and worship wood and stone.'  As I live, says the Lord God, surely with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, and with wrath poured out, I will be king over you" (vs. 32 and 33).

The Lord's name comes into play one last time in this chapter when He envisions the future restoration of the nation and the pouring out of mercy rather than judgment upon Israel.  For the sake of God's name, His people will finally know the Lord when they come to realize His ways of grace.  "And you shall know that I am the Lord, when I deal with you for my name’s sake, not according to your evil ways, or corrupt deeds, O house of Israel, says the Lord God" (vs. 44).   

No comments:

Post a Comment