Tuesday, January 7, 2014

John 6: Bread of Life

When Jesus says "Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you," is He talking about Communion?
Personally, I don't believe so.  Instead, I think these are parallel teachings.  Jesus' statement here is a way of expressing the deep truth that Communion also demonstrates more tangibly: that our relationship with Jesus must be so close and intimate that it is as if we are feeding upon Him and quenching our thirst with Him.  

I love how Jesus infuses essential, well-known concepts with new spiritual meaning.  He offers living water.  He is bread from heaven.  (Spoiler: More are coming!)

One last note: I always find it fascinating that the people were ready to come and make Jesus "king by force" (6:15).  A little strange, isn't it, that the people wanted to force Jesus to be their king?  Doesn't that imply that they could also impose the limits of His kingship upon them?  Is Jesus truly our King if it's at our discretion and whim?  It seems to me that a true King would be yielded to for His will to be done, rather than our own.


3 comments:

  1. I am with you on the spiritual, life-infusing parts of having a relationship with Jesus in regard to the eating and the drinking. Eugene Peterson made a similar comparison with Revelation 10 where John eats the scroll. He suggests that we too are to "eat" scripture so that it becomes a part of us. It's all about that spiritual nutrition. What are you putting in there? Are you taking in Scripture, worship music, conversations with God, etc.? Are you filling yourself with these good things? Or are you filling yourself with garbage, so to speak, that will do a disservice to your life, both spiritual and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your take on "king by force ". I agree that the people could then set the parameters for His kingship. We sure do that today, squishing God into the box we wish Him to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting that you led with this question. I was wondering why we never hear this passage used during communion, but your explanation was helpful. I was quite captivated by Jesus' use of the Bread of Life analogy. There are so many references to the diety of Christ in just these few chapters; I get why my pastor loves to encourage seekers to start here.

    ReplyDelete