Monday, February 3, 2014

I John 3: Christ = Change

The basic message I get from I John 3 is pretty simple: Christ will not leave you the way you are.  If you're going to come to Christ, you're going to change.

Some examples:

  • "What we will be had not yet been made known.  But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him..." (vs. 2)
  • "No one who lives in him keeps on sinning." (vs. 6)
  • "No one who is born of God will continue to sin..." (vs. 9)
  • "We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers." (vs. 14)
  • "Those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them." (vs. 24)
I know change can be hard to accept, and change can be scary to think about.  But God's Word assures us that a natural consequence of our relationship with Jesus Christ is that we will walk as He did.  And it is to everyone's betterment that it is.

So what does it mean if we claim to be in Christ, but have not changed (or changing, or at least willing to change) to become more like Him in our love?  


3 comments:

  1. This is a good question for our "On Demand" culture. When we buy something, try something, order something, whatever....we want it NOW. I'd like to hear what others think.
    I'll hang up and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul tells we are running a race that ends with eternity. James says the Holy Spirit WILL lead us unto all truth. One day we will be like Him. It is a process with almost daily lessons to lead us in the sanctification process. Lots of time, reading scripture convicts me of the many ways I am not like Christ....and I agree with Josh, it sure is not a NOW process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough to hear, but it should bring the sincerity/reality of the relationship into question. Are we/am I just nominal Christians or true followers, willing to 'take up the cross' and make the hard changes with the help of the Holy Spirit?

    ReplyDelete