Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Isaiah 12: My Salvation, My Strength, My Song

Isaiah 12 reflects the joy that comes after the time of punishment has passed.  "In that day you will say, 'I will praise you, O Lord.  Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me" (vs. 1).

The prophet then goes on to give the Lord three names.  "Surely God is my salvation," Isaiah says.  Then, "The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song" (vs. 2).

It's very appropriate that God is referred to as "salvation."  After all, He is the One who saves us from oppression and sin.  He is our rescuer and deliverer.

It is equally apt to call God our "strength."  When we don't know how we will make it through our day or face down our challenges, God is there to give us the ability.

But I think the prophet really takes a shine to the idea of God as his song.  "Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world.  Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you" (vs. 5-6).  There is a feeling of joy in this chapter that comes with the realization that the storm of judgment is over and better times lie ahead.  This joy overflows in our hearts to come out of our mouths as songs, testifying to the fact that the Lord is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment