Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Isaiah 41: Help Is On The Way!

Three times in Isaiah 41, the Lord gives the reassuring message to the nation of Judah that He will be with them and help them, so there is no cause for fear.

Verse 10: "Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand."  If this passage sounds familiar to you, you might be remembering a verse from the classic hymn, "How Firm a Foundation," on which quotes it practically verbatim.  "Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed, for I am thy God and will still give thee aid.  I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand."  This scriptural promise reveals God as the guardian of Israel, not wanting them to be fearful, but instead desiring them to put their trust in Him, for He will be their help.

Verse 13: "For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, 'Do not fear, I will help you.'"  Once again, the twin reassurances come through.  God does not wish for His people to live in fear. Rather, He wants them to know that their deliverance is sure for it rests in Him.  Secondly, the prophet again uses the word "help."  God is going to help them, not hurt them.  He will give them what they need and protect them in the way that they need it.

Verse 14: "Do not fear, you worm Jacob, you insect Israel! I will help you, says the Lord; your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel."  Although we might be concerned with God's likening of His people to worms and insects, the comparison is probably apt.  Next to the Lord, any of us seem as helpless and weak as a spineless worm or tiny bug!  Yet, we are not truly helpless, for God is promising here, again, to help us.  We can have perfect confidence in this, for our Redeemer is none other than the Holy One of Israel.  What He says, He will do.

As the people of God, we can take comfort in this message: Fear not, for God's help is on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment