Friday, April 22, 2016

Isaiah 52: Here Am I

"Therefore my people shall know my name; therefore in that day that shall know that it is I who speak; here am I" (vs. 6).

God is zealous for His name in Isaiah 52.  He wants to show Himself strong on behalf of His people in the face of all the world.  Whereas before Israel had been sold and oppressed, now they will be freed and delivered - and God wants all the world to witness the power of His name!  In fact, the two "therefores" appearing in the opening verse shown above have to do with reversing the intolerable state of affairs in verse 5: "All day long, my name is despised."

This change in the fortunes of Israel will be announced with beauty and received with joy for it is a moment of salvation.  In famous words that will be later repeated in the New Testament (Romans 10:15), we hear, "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of the messenger who announces peace, who brings good news, who announces salvation, who says to Zion, 'Your God reigns'" (vs. 7).  This is still true today when Christians share the good news of the gospel of salvation in Jesus Christ!

The miraculous deliverance of His people culminates in the expression of universal wonder before the Lord in verse 10: "The Lord has bared his holy arm before the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God."

Thus it is that the great I AM says to the world, "Here am I" (vs. 6).

No comments:

Post a Comment