Friday, August 11, 2017

Psalm 32: Good For The Soul?

Although the expression, "Confession is good for the soul," is not found explicitly in the Bible, Psalm 32 does indeed make the case that the confession of our sins to the Lord is, indeed, good for our souls!

In fact, the word "blessed" is used twice to describe the one whose sins are forgiven and discharged (vs. 1 and 2).  This blessedness does not come before confession, but after.  The Psalmist says: "When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long...Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity  I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord' - and you forgave the guilt of my sin" (vs. 3-5).

Isn't it amazing the difference that our attitude toward the Lord can make?  If we pretend to be righteous, or ignore our sin, we will be in distress.  Yet with confession comes not punishment, but pardon! 

If you haven't taken God up on His offer of grace and forgiveness, do so today.  He can be your "hiding place," too! (vs. 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment