Sunday, June 14, 2015

Psalm 73: Near Miss

The psalmist confesses a very relatable problem: he has become envious of the wicked, even to the point of considering throwing his lot in with them.  "But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled; my steps had nearly slipped.  For I was envious of the arrogant; I saw the prosperity of the wicked" (vs. 2-3).

From outward appearances, the evil look like they're doing pretty well.  They have good health (vs. 4), no trials (vs. 5), wealth (vs. 12), confidence and pride.  They seem so well-off that it induces doubt in the faithful that maybe God does not see and take note of their wickedness (vs. 10-12).  By comparison, it appears that maybe the righteous need not be so zealous for their righteousness (vs. 13-14).

But all is not as it seems.  The psalmist realizes that the place of the wicked is not as secure as they claim (vs. 18-20).  Judgment is surely coming for them.

In response to this revelation, the psalmist returns to a right relationship with God.  He sings of his love of the Lord: "Whom have I in heaven but you?  And there is nothing on earth that I desire other than you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (vs. 25-26).

All's well that ends well!



No comments:

Post a Comment