Thursday, August 4, 2016

I Chronicles 29: Giving [Back] To God

When we give gifts to the Lord, such as tithes and offerings, we often do so under the illusion that God is benefiting by receiving the fruit of our generosity.  Yet the reality is that we are the ones who received God's generosity in the first place.  We can only ever give back to God.

David saw this truth in the offerings presented for the construction of Solomon's Temple.  (After reading these chapters at the end of I Chronicles, it seems like it should be more properly called "David's Temple" considering all the planning and preparation he made for it!)  At first David seems to take a bit of pride in his generosity:  "Moreover, in addition to all that I have provided for the holy house, I have a treasure of my own of gold and silver, and because of my devotion to the house of my God I give it to the house of my God" (vs. 3).  He likewise challenges the leaders of the ancestral houses to make similar freewill gifts.

As they do, David's perspective changes.  It becomes less about any one man's greatness or devotion, and more about God's incredible blessing revealed through the gifts He has already given that are now being returned to Him.  The people would have nothing to give if God had not first blessed them.  In verse 14, he states, "But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to make this freewill offering? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you."  David goes on to say, "O Lord our God, all this abundance that we have provided for building you a house for your holy name comes from your hand and is all your own"" (vs. 16).

What difference does it make?  It makes a world of difference in our attitude!  We should be humble, grateful givers, realizing that the concept of the "self-made man" is purely a myth.  Like David, we can ask ourselves, "What do we have that You did not give us?"  The next time you give, remember that our giving is ever only a giving back to God - and praise Him for that!


No comments:

Post a Comment