Thursday, August 4, 2016

Psalm 131: A Psalm Of Humility

Imagine if this psalm read the opposite of its statements: "O Lord, my heart is lifted up,  my eyes are raised too high; I occupy my myself with things too great and too marvelous for me" (inverse of vs. 1).  This would be the picture of a spiritually proud person.

Instead, David gives us a picture of humility.  In fact, he literally gives us a "word picture" of humility by invoking the image of a weaned child with its mother.  The weaned child that David imagines is calm and quiet.

That is the kind of soul that we should have, David says; one that is trusting and hoping in the Lord, not jockeying for position or grasping greedily for blessings.  Instead, our soul should be peaceful and restful, like a weaned child with its mother.

David concludes the psalm in verse 3, "O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time on and forevermore."  A posture of spiritual humility before the Lord, as described in this psalm, makes this encouragement more likely to be followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment