Saturday, January 31, 2015

Psalm 55: The Wound Of Betrayal

An old German proverb states, "Better an honest enemy than a false friend."  Based on Psalm 55, David would agree.


This psalm contains many of the traditional elements we have come to expect in David's songs: a lament over his troubles, a prayer for his deliverance, curses upon his enemies, etc.  But a noteworthy difference in Psalm 55 is the focus on the betrayal of a friend, someone who was close to David.  Now that person has turned against him, and the wound of betrayal cuts deeper than any enemy could.

"It is not enemies who taunt me - I could bear that;
it is not adversaries who deal insolently with me - I could hide from them.
But it is you, my equal, my companion, my familiar friend,
with whom I kept pleasant company; we walked in the house of God with the throng" (vs. 12-14).

As Christians, it's hard to hear this Psalm and not see a foreshadowing of Judas Iscariot.  Judas fits this model of one who would betray a friend, selling out his friend and master Jesus for thirty pieces of silver.

To see Michael Card's treatment of this concept in his song, "Why?", check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NJRUXThg8

No comments:

Post a Comment