Monday, July 4, 2016

Jeremiah 46: North Versus South

Long before the world wars of the twentieth century, there were epic battles waged between regional powers.  In the days of the prophet Jeremiah, two such sparring nations were Babylon and Egypt.

Jeremiah 46 describes an ancient clash between the north (Babylon) and the south (Egypt).  Even though Pharaoh and his armies marched out confidently to battle the forces of Nebuchadnezzar, they returned home in defeat.  The north prevailed and the south was left to lick its wounds.

In between these powers lay Judah, at the geographic crossroads of three continents (some suggest that this is why God planted His covenant people where He did, with the Promised Land being a perfect site to witness to traveling foreigners.)  Jeremiah has reassuring words for Judah: "But as for you, have no fear, my servant Jacob, and do not be dismayed, O Israel; for I am going to save you from far away, and your offspring from the land of their captivity.  Jacob shall return and have quiet and ease, and no one shall make him afraid.  As for you, have no fear, my servant Jacob, says the Lordfor I am with you.  I will make an end of all the nations among which I have banished you, but I will not make an end of you!  I will chastise you in just measure, and I will by no means leave you unpunished" (vs. 27-28).

God promises His people that He is not done with them yet.  He will make an end of all the nations that exiled the Jews - but He will not make an end of them!  It's important to remember that, when furious wars are waged between countries and even groups of countries, God still has His eye on His people.  They are neither forgotten nor neglected.

No comments:

Post a Comment