Monday, July 25, 2016

Psalm 129: Haters Gonna Hate

There have been enemies of the Jews for about as long as there have been Jews.
"Often they have attacked me from my youth, yet they have not prevailed against me," the psalmist sings triumphantly in verse 2 on behalf of his people.  This was written over two thousand years ago.  Since then, the Jews have gone on to face the exile to Babylon, the desecration of the temple by the Greeks, the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans, the diaspora around the world, the Spanish Inquisition, the pogroms by the Russians, the holocaust by the Nazis, the intifada by the Palestinians, the persecution by Christians (sadly), as well as many other attacks and threats.  And yet, after all of them, it can still be said, "they have not prevailed against me."

I have often felt that there is a deeply spiritual component to people who profess animosity toward the Jews in general and Israel in particular.  It's amazing to me how the Jews can inspire such utter revulsion in some (usually unattractive characters to me) and such profound devotion in others (usually much more compelling groups.)  But I guess God's people evoke the same kind of reactions and emotions that people have toward God.  That's probably a very controversial thing to say, especially considering that there have been many times when self-professing Christians have been on the attacking side of things.  Still, I say it.  I am an unapologetic friend to the Jews, even though we disagree about who the Messiah is.

So, haters gonna hate.  The psalmist recognizes this truth, too, and calls down some curses upon those who would oppose his people.  "May all who hate Zion be put to shame and turned backward" (vs. 5).  He hopes to see them become as fruitless and dead as grass upon the rooftops.  No one will be harvesting there.  Likewise, may no one support and reap among those who despise the Jews.

No comments:

Post a Comment