Friday, November 11, 2016

Daniel 10: Touched By An Angel

What do you think a visit by an angel would be like?  If the biblical encounters are any indication, they would be awesome, overpowering events!

Look at what happened to Daniel when, in the third year of Cyrus' reign, he was approached by a heavenly being along the banks of the Tigris River.  After describing the angel's startling appearance, he reports, "My strength left me, and my complexion grew deathly pale, and I retained no strength" (vs. 8).  In the next verse, he collapses to the ground.  In other words, he was scared!

Twice the angel has to tell Daniel what angels so often say to human beings: Don't be afraid!  (vs. 12 and 19).  What does that common greeting by angels tell us?  The number one reaction to seeing an angel is not wonder or incredulity or rapture - but terror!  I don't know if it is something we would desire if we truly understood what it would be like.

Daniel not only sees this angel, but three times he is touched by him.  In verses 10, 16, and 18, Daniel is touched and strengthened.  After his lips are touched and he finds his voice, Daniel says to the angel, "My lord, because of the vision such pains have come upon me that I retain no strength.  How can I talk with my lord?  For I am shaking, no strength remains in me, and no breath is left in me" (vs. 16 and 17).

Even though Daniel was terrified by this vision, the angel was sent not to scare him but to encourage him.  The reassuring words of the angel are, "Do not fear, greatly beloved, you are safe.  Be strong and courageous!" (vs. 19).  This finally comforts and calms Daniel down to the point that he can listen to the message.  Does it help your faith to consider that any angel appearing in your presence would probably say the same to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment