Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Zechariah 10: Chosen Again

Israel's relationship with the Lord has certainly seen its share of ups (exodus, conquest, David, godly kings) and downs (wilderness wanderings, civil war, idolatry, exile).  After losing everything to the Babylonians, the people naturally wondered, "Is that it?  Is our special relationship with God over?"

Through Zechariah, God makes it clear that He is choosing Israel all over again!  "I will strengthen the house of Judah, and I will save the house of Joseph.  I will bring them back because I have compassion on them, and they shall be as though I had not rejected them; for I am the Lord their God and I will answer them" (vs. 6).  

What power is in those words, "they shall be as though I had not rejected them!"  God once again identifies Himself as "their" God.

What follows is the promise of a grand homecoming.  The Lord will bring His people back to the promised land (promised, once again!)  "Though I scattered them among the nations, yet in far countries they shall remember me, and they shall rear their children and return" (vs. 9).  The exile is over and it's time for the people to come home.  They can take comfort in the fact that they are chosen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment